June 7, 2008

Miami Vice Season 3 - "Streetwise" - 1986

Did I mention how much I love the Watch It Now Feature on Netflix? Well, I do. It allowed me to watch the episode titled "Streetwise" from the Season 3 set of Miami Vice. I was able to skip all other episodes and go right to the one featuring Bill Paxton.

In this episode, Bill Paxton plays Vic Romano, a cop tangled up in drugs and prostitutes on the mean streets of 1980s Miami, Florida. Vic has fallen in love with a dumb, spandex-wearing blonde prostitute called Carla. Vic and Carla are busted in at dirty motel (awesomely called the Ramrod Hotel) one night, and some cocaine is found in Carla's purse. Vic tries to take the blame for the coke, but Crockett doesn't believe it for a second. The rest of the episode details Crockett and Tubbs trying to track down the dealer/pimp called "Silk" played by Wesley Snipes. In the end, the bad guys AND Vic are killed in a shoot out. Sounds about right for Miami Vice.



This episode really reminded me how cheesy Miami Vice is. Granted, I was in 6th grade, living in Upstate NY in 1986, but something tells me that there weren't as many hookers roaming the streets in broad daylight in Miami as this episode suggests, but I can't prove it. And the prostitutes are wearing either silver, neon, or black leather outfits, with more accessories than your local Claire's Boutique. Of course, you see the stereotypical black pimp beating up white women, while yelling "Where's my money, bitch?!". Yeah, totally 80s television, I swear.

Anyway, Bill Paxton is OK in this episode. Not awesome, but not terrible. He doesn't play a very convincing cop, but then again, my attention wasn't totally focused on the dialog or acting. I was waiting to see if he would put on a pair of leather pants. Sadly, he didn't.

If you have a subscription to Netflix and can tolerate using Internet Explorer for 42 minutes, click here to watch this episode. Warning, the first four minutes are so cheesy you might die a little.

Next up: Indian Summer. I'm still waiting for Netflix to ship me Frailty.

No comments: