July 4, 2008

The Dark Backward - 1991

Ok, I really didn't think I was going to like this movie, but I did. It's so bizarre and weird that I found myself laughing through the whole thing. The Dark Backward is a pretty strange dark comedy. If you're into David Lynch's early stuff as well as awesome movies like Meet The Feebles, I think you'll like The Dark Backward.

The movie is about these two friends who work together picking up garbage in this bleak, disgusting, nameless city. Our hero, Bill Paxton, plays Gus, a guy who looks like he hasn't bathed in about 10 years. He's a pretty fun-loving guy, though, who is always laughing and encouraging his friend, Marty Malt (played by Judd Nelson) to pursue his stand up comedy routine. Gus plays the accordion as an accompaniment to Marty's comedy routine.

One day, Marty wakes up with a lump on his back. Gus tells him it looks kinda like a bug bite. But the lump keeps growing, until one day Marty wakes up with an arm growing out of his back. Most people are completely horrified, but Gus figures out a way to work it into Marty's comedy routine to make an extra buck. They end up meeting Jackie Chrome (played by Wayne Newton), who promises them fame and fortune in Hollywood.

Of course, things do not go as planned. I won't spoil the movie for you, but it had an ending I wasn't really expecting. That was good, because I hate it when I see it coming, you know? Kind of spoils the whole thing for me.

Bill Paxton was hilarious in this film. Judd Nelson did a great performance as well. I loved the set design and how you can't tell if the film takes place in the future or the past. Yes, there were some gross out moments, but nothing too major. Although I do like how all the gross scenes involved our hero, Bill Paxton. I read somewhere that he really was gagging during one scene and not pretending. Awesome.

If you're into totally bizarre, strange dark comedies, check out The Dark Backward. For me, the movie progressed quickly and I was not bored. I absolutely recommend this for the Bill Paxton fan out there. He's really great in it. I will have to watch it a second time to pick up on all the little details I missed the first time. For example, there's a carton of "Pork Juice" in the fridge. What the hell is that?

Check out the trailer here.

2 comments:

Dixie Productions said...

Interesting...I like Bill Paxton, but never knew of this film...

From THE X-RATED GRANDMA

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of it, either. You can get it from Netflix!