June 5, 2008

Near Dark - 1987

I've decided to rent every movie that Bill Paxton is in, starting with Near Dark. I watched it on Monday while The Hubs was at work. The movie is about this guy who falls for a girl who is really a vampire. He gets infected with her vampire cooties and the rest of the film is about how he has to kill someone to stay alive (by drinking their blood, naturally). Don't forget how the vampires can't be in direct sunlight or they will burn to a crisp, as that's an important element to this film. I guess even bright halogen lights will burn their tender vampire skin, as evident in one crucial scene toward the end of the movie.

It's a pretty bad film, to be honest. The plot is ridiculous, the dialog is horrendous, the lighting is really bad, and the acting is sub-par. Well, except for Bill Paxton. He steals the film. He's awesome as the character Severen, who spends most of the 94 minutes covered in blood and shouting out awesome lines such as "I hate it when they ain't been shaved!" when biting into a burly truck driver's bearded neck. He looks pretty good in his tight black leather pants, too. HA!

Near Dark is a pretty cheesy film, but it's good for both a laugh and a quick trip back in time to the mid 1980s, when movies like this cranked out quickly and were never in short supply. I laughed out loud thought most of it, even though I know I wasn't supposed to. But I couldn't help myself...it's that cheesy.


Next on the Netflix list? Frailty.

Oh, I should mention that the only movie I refuse to watch starring Bill Paxton is Boxing Helena. I was subjected to that in college and I do not want to re-live that again. Even though Bill Paxton does look pretty hot in his leather pants.... ;)

No comments: