July 8, 2008

Broken Lizard's Club Dread - 2004

This was another bad movie. It was boring and hokey and not funny at all. I'm not really one for slasher films, either. Maybe that's why I didn't like Club Dread. I was hoping I'd like it, since it was written by the same dudes who did Super Troopers. But yeah, it pretty much sucked.

The parts the our hero, Bill Paxton were in made me giggle. But when he's not on screen, I can't be bothered.


Bill Paxton plays Coconut Pete, a long haired hippie type who owns Coconut Pete's Coconut Beach Resort located on a non-descript island on an unmentioned body of water. Of course, the only people who pay to vacation on Coconut Pete's Coconut Beach Resort are young, tan, and gorgeous. Not an ounce of fat on anyone at any time. Kinda sad, really. The people look all the same, too. And I don't remember there being any African Americans. Eh, I think about this crap too much, huh?


Anyway, people start getting killed on the island. All the staff members are freaked out. They all determine that each other cannot be trusted. When the decide they know who the killer is, they lock him in a closet. But then, of course, more people get killed so they know that the person they thought was the killer, really isn't...or is it?

Even though I didn't like this movie very much, I had two favorite parts. The first was the live-action Pac-Man maze, complete with people dressed up as fruit. The second was the ending, which was pretty damn funny. I won't mention it here, in case any of you are dying (har har!) to see this movie. Oh, and I really liked the parts that Bill Paxton sang silly songs.

Speaking of which, here are a few Coconut Pete tunes you can download from the Club Dread website. I'd download them fast, as I can't guarantee that they will be around forever:

Pleasure Island
Naughty Cal
Pina Coladaburg
CominBlowin

If you like ridiculously silly slasher parody movies, this is for you. It's fun to see Bill Paxton play a stoned hippie, but that's really all that's amusing about this film. I guess you'd like it if you were stoned, though...

No comments: