June 22, 2008

U-571 - 2000

U-571 is on Encore as I type this. I'm only half watching it. There's about 40 minutes left of the movie. I just can't get into it. I think the reasons I'm not into this movie are:

1. Jon Bon Jovi is in it.
2. It's a war movie
3. That takes place on a submarine
4. Matthew McCanaughey wears too much makeup
5. Bill Paxton's character dies after an hour into the film
6. It's too dark, and I don't mean depressing
7. The "epic" music gets on my nerves

Here's the basic plot of the film from the IMDB:
A German submarine is boarded by disguised American submariners trying to capture their Enigma cipher machine.
Yeah, that's about it. I don't know one thing about the Enigma, so that part of the plot just didn't capture my interest. I don't like submarines since they are too cramped and I imagine them smelling pretty bad. And I couldn't get past the fact that all the scenes look like they were shot on a sound stage (which I'm sure they were) and in a big tank filled with millions of gallons of water in Hollywood.

Ok, so I just watched about 30 minutes more of U-571 and, yeah, I just wasn't into it. I think the only thing I got out of this film is Nazis=bad. And that's something I already knew.


I guess U-571 would be a good movie to watch if you're into historically inaccurate submarine movies filmed in a sound stage water tank. Bill Paxton was good in the 10 minutes he was on screen, but that's it. I'm glad I watched this, just so I can knock it off the list. It's not one I'll probably ever watch again, though.

Although, Bill Paxton looks mighty fine in his sailor uniform.

No comments: