September 6, 2008

Resistance - 2003

I apologize for my lack of posting, but The Hubs and I recenlty moved and I've been without cable or internet for the past 8 days. I know! The horror! But in that time I watched a few Bill Paxton movies, some good, some bad, and one that was just terrible.

The first movie I'll write about is Resistance starring our hero Bill Paxton and Julia Ormond. It takes place during occupied Belgium at the height of World War II. Bill Paxton plays Ted, a pilot whose plane gets shot down and all of his crew members die. He is found in the woods by a small boy who brings him to Claire Daussois, played by Julia Ormond. Claire nurses Ted back to health while her husband, Henri, becomes more and more involved with the resistance.


Ted and Claire begin to fall in love. We find out early on in the marriage that Claire is not happy with her Henri at all. Ted falls pretty hard for Claire since she nursed him back to health. This is where the movie goes from being a WWII film to a sappy love story.

Every now and then we are reminded that Belgium is under Nazi rule and that the resistance are holding secret allied codes from them. But it's mostly a love story between Claire and Ted.

I won't give the ending away, but it was pretty cheesy. I didn't love this movie but I didn't hate it either. It was just kind of boring and sappy. There are no leather pants on Bill Paxton in this film, but we do get to see his butt. I keep wondering if he's just very comfortable showing the world his bare ass, or if he is so proud of it that he works a bare butt scene into all of his films. That's one to ponder.

No comments: